Friday, February 4, 2011

Top 5

I want to share my top 5 with you. I thought this might be a good way to introduce my reading "style". Comment with your top five books, I wonder how many of you will have some of the same as me. Also, if you click on the image of the book it will take you to the Goodreads page so you can get more information on a book that interests you (this can also be done with the currently reading book).

5. Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

I know some people might read this and go: What!? But seriously I loved this book even more than Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (and I know Twilight fans are going to hate me for it). The way that Maggie Stiefvater writes is amazing, and flows gracefully from page to page. I was captivated the whole way through. I enjoyed the chemistry between Grace and Sam. I appreciated the uniqueness of the Wolves of Mercy Falls.



4. Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning

The entire series was amazing because of the characters (Team Jericho) and the plot lines. If you haven't started the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning, you need to go pick up Darkfever as soon as possible! This is the last book in the series and it closed up a lot of loose ends but it also left some hanging. I was astonished at the twists and turns that Karen Marie Moning introduced. Anything I thought was going to happen or however I thought the book was going to end it didn't. This was the first book to completely shock me.

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I was told from more than a few people to read this book, and I am going to tell you the same thing, please read this book. If you are a book lover then this is a must read. It was truly awe inspiring and a touching novel. I can't tell you how many times I cried while reading this book. I know it is a YA novel but I have heard from enough adults that they've loved this book. It follows the journey of Liesel Meminger during WWII in Nazi Germany. I hope that I have the same type of love and appreciation for books that Liesel does.


2. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


I recommend this book at any moment possible. I have had a friend of mine become hooked on this series and I have lent Outlander to my sister and I am hoping to make a fan out of her too. The love, sex, characters, plot, and huge amounts of historical facts that this novel is packed with has kept me reading all the rest in the series. Out of the entire series this is my favorite one. I have been searching since reading this for characters like Jamie and Claire, ones that share a love that literally knows no boundaries. The only series that came close was the Fever series.

1. Persuasion by Jane Austen


To me Outlander is a modern, original take on a concept that I first found in Persuasion by Jane Austen. I had to read this book in high school and I've read is several times since. Each time I read it I found something else to love about it. I find that Anne is very relatable. I enjoyed the connection between her and Captain Wentworth. I don't want to give away too much of the book by pointing out exact moments that I loved. The circumstances in which Anne and Wentworth are kept apart are understandable, but as a reader (especially from this time period) it was difficult to not want to shake Anne and tell her to stand up for herself. I think that the power of love exemplified with Anne and Wentworth is unique and I hope that in my life I have found a love like theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment