Monday, February 7, 2011

Unseen by Rachel Caine

After Cassiel and Warden Luis Rocha rescue an adept child from a maniacal Djinn, they realize two things: the girl is already manifesting an incredible amount of power, and her kidnapping was not an isolated incident.

This Djinn-aided by her devoted followers-is capturing children all over the world, and indoctrinating them so she can use their strength for herself. With no other options, Cassiel infiltrates the Djinn's organization-because if Cassiel cannot stop the Djinn's apocalyptic designs, all of humanity may be destroyed. (Goodreads)








Review:
Wow! Where do I even begin! Within the first 30 pages of the book I had my mouth completely open, letting the flies come in. I don't want to give anything away but I know people who love the Outcast Season series are going to love the first 30 pages. After that everything for Cassiel and Luis seems to go down hill.... quickly! Things that I loved: Cassiel going crazy and kicking ass (always great), Rashid trying to tempt Cassiel (again even though he always fails), and the fact that I didn't want to put the book down. The book is relatively short (302 pages for mass market paperback) and the plot pulls you along so there is no real need to stop for breathers. There were some things that were introduced in the Weather Warden series in this novel (even though the Weather Warden series ended last year this novel is picking up around where Total Eclipse started) like Wardens with the ability of Void. For readers new to the world created by Rachel Caine this might be confusing, basically they have the ability to mute another person's powers. I liked that there was more development in Cassiel as a human, but we also got to see her in a reminiscent sort of way being Djinn.

Now here comes the bad parts, the ending! I have this bittersweet, love/hate relationship with cliffhangers. They make me frustrated yet excited at the same time and Rachel Caine definitely knows how to deliver a cliffhanger much like Karen Marie Moning and her Fever series. The other thing I did not like is that I feel like the action starts too quickly in these novels (particularly this one) and then whenever there is supposed to be some sort of great resolution the book ends. I understand that's apart of the appeal to get readers to check out the next book, but as a serious fan - it's frustrating! 
If you haven't read the Weather Warden series I highly suggest it! You can also pick up the first in the Outcast Season series, Undone. I don't think it's completely necessary for you to read the Weather Warden series in order to understand the spin-off series but it does make it easier!
♥♥♥





No comments:

Post a Comment