Friday, February 18, 2011

At Grave's End by Jeaniene Frost

Published: December 30, 2008 by Avon
Series: Night Huntress #3

  Some things won't stay buried . . . at grave's end
It should be the best time of half-vampire Cat Crawfield's life. With her undead lover Bones at her side, she's successfully protected mortals from the rogue undead. But though Cat's worn disguise after disguise to keep her true identity a secret from the brazen bloodsuckers, her cover's finally been blown, placing her in terrible danger. 

As if that wasn't enough, a woman from Bones's past is determined to bury him once and for all. Caught in the crosshairs of a vengeful vamp, yet determined to help Bones stop a lethal magic from being unleashed, Cat's about to learn the true meaning of bad blood. And the tricks she's learned as a special agent won't help her. She will need to fully embrace her vampire instincts in order to save herself—and Bones—from a fate worse than the grave.(Goodreads)

 
This series was the first Paranormal Romance series I had encountered and the only reason I started it was because of the raving reviews it got on Goodreads.com and it seemed like everyone was talking about how amazing it was. I decided that I had to give it a try and I've been hooked ever since I finished the first novel Halfway to the Grave. Now here I am at the third novel and I have the fifth on pre-order from Amazon.com. I would recommend this series to anyone who is interested in Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romance.

With that said, I'll begin my review. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the suspense that I was in through out most of the book. I believe a great author is someone who has you intrigued and involved from the first page until the last. Jeaniene Frost is the definition of a great author. I didn't want to put the book down once I started it even though I knew I could just pick up where I left off and the book wasn't going to continue with out me. There is a HUGE surprise waiting about 1/3 of the way through and I was almost completely heartbroken but I knew that since there were two more books that it couldn't have been settled that easily (if that makes any sense at all). I'm trying to let you know there's a big event with out giving anything away so that you can find out for yourself. I like that the supernatural world that is created in this novel is most strictly undead beings (vampires, ghouls, and zombies). That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the occasional werewolf/shifter, it just means that I liked that Jeaniene Frost wasn't trying to confuse me with this huge supernatural world. Also, I like the hierarchy within the vampire domain that has rules and regulations that have to be followed at all costs. It makes the vampires seem more like they have to work at what they are.

On some level I wish there wasn't so much action so that I can see the relationship that Cat has with other people besides Bones and her immediate co-workers. I want to know more about Denise, Rodney, and even Justina. I know them on a surface level but I want more depth. Especially now that I see Cat and Bones as functional characters. There are so many changes in this novel that I wonder if the characters are going to be in some way less than they are now in the next novel or if they will grow.

♥♥♥♥


No comments:

Post a Comment